Cauliflower is loaded with macro and micro nutrients, easy to prepare, inexpensive, and its natural pectin gives the soup a lusciously creamy texture without dairy, so it’s effortlessly vegan! Plus it doesn't even need stock! That's right: you can whip up this soup in 1 hour, and most of that is just letting it do it's thing; 45 minutes if you skip the onion part.
Drizzling with olive oil before serving helps make the fat-soluble nutrients more bio-available, adds panache, fun, and flavor--with regular olive oils or flavors like Basil or Lemon; adding our Spice Blends changes up the flavor. We recommend Herbes de Provence, Harissa, and our super savory Napa Valley Blend, probably the most versatile spice blend we've ever tried.
- 3 tablespoons of your favorite Stonehouse classic EVOO olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 head very fresh cauliflower (about 1-1/2 pounds), chopped (the smaller you chop it the quicker it cooks)
- 2 tsp salt, plus to taste
- 5 cups water, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Warm the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pan. Sweat the onion in the olive oil (along with whatever spices you are using) over low heat without letting it brown for 15 minutes. Add the cauliflower, 1 tsp salt, and 1 cup water. Raise the heat slightly, cover the pot tightly and stew the cauliflower for 15 to 18 minutes, or until tender. Add the remaining 4 cups water, 1 tsp salt, bring to a low simmer, and cook an additional 15 minutes, covered. Check consistency of the cauliflower, if you can smoosh it you can blend it, otherwise, give it an additional 5 ish minutes.
Working in batches, purée the soup in a blender to a very smooth, creamy consistency or, preferable, use an immersion blender; it does not get as smooth, but somedays that's okay. Let the soup stand for 20 minutes. In this time it will thicken, as the natural pectins works their magic! In addition to adding to the gorgeous texture, pectins are very good for your digestion. Reheat the soup, thinning with water, if necessary, and serve hot, drizzled with your favorite extra-virgin olive oil, freshly ground black pepper, a dash of spice blend. Serves 8. With the price of an organic head of cauliflower at $4, that's about $.50 per serving!
- Finish with a crunchy topping of Za'atar, an aromatic topping of Herbs de Provence, savory Napa Valley Blend, Harissa, or experiment with your favorite Blend!
- Lemon oil and ground coriander are a great combo for this soup.
- add Tumeric and black pepper for an extra healthiness--also adds a wonderful hue.
- Make a rich version of this soup by seasoning with Black Truffle Sea Salt instead of regular salt,
Adapted from Paul Bertolli.