Jazz up Your Dips, Hummus, Sauces & Spreads
Our ingredients are super versatile but it can be easy to get stuck in a cooking rut, we've been there. Check out these fresh ideas for how to utilize ingredients you may already have (or plant the seed for something new you want to give a try)! Comment at the bottom with your favorites and ideas - the best way to learn is to share!
HUMMUS & BEAN DIPS
- Top with (or mix in) Harissa, Zhug, Jalapeno Lime, Za'atar, Napa Valley Blend, Chipotle Honey, North Beach Blend, Aglio Olio spice blends.
- Top with (or mix in) ANY Stonehouse oil - we especially love Basil, Garlic, Lisbon Lemon, Hot Chili, Jalapeño, and Habanero, as well as bolder classic oils like Reserve and Organic Estate.
- Use spice AND oil combos!
- Use on sandwiches, as an appetizer or part of a lunch or dinner mezze spread with olives, cheese, roasted or fresh veggies, pita or chips
- Make your own hummus with different types of beans - chickpeas are classic, but you can use anything from black beans to lentils too.
PESTO & HERB SAUCES
- Try our Stonehouse Everything Herb Sauce and riff off different combos from there.
- Take your next batch of pesto to the next level by using Basil oil for the base (or half and half Basil and classic EVOO)
- Our Stonehouse Guacamole is a fresh take that uses a pesto as a base to really bump the flavor! Add Jalapeno Lime on top for extra pop.
- Don’t have any fresh garlic cloves (or is fresh garlic too strong for your liking or not in your diet?) - use Garlic oil as part of the base of your pesto/sauce. Start small with a teaspoon or two and add more to taste.
- Try our Zhug Pesto for an amazing, hot and spicy Middle-Eastern inspired sauce, traditionally served with falafel but also amazing slathered on sandwiches, burgers and meats, as a dip for grilled veggies and more. You can cheat (and you won’t be sorry) by stirring Zhug into a store-bought basil or cilantro pesto as well. Great paired with Grilled Eggplant or Salted-Crusted Potatoes, or make our Zhug Pesto Potato Pizza.
- We especially love our Rosemary oil in pesto and herb sauces because you can get the rich, savory herbaceousness of rosemary without little bits of the tough, bitter needles floating around.
- A touch of vinegar also helps herb sauces to come alive - our Dark Balsamic is great for richer sauces, and the White Balsamic is great if you want something a little lighter and brighter, or that will still look brilliant and green!
YOGURT DIP (or just for eating!)
- Greek yogurt is the perfect medium for adding oils and spices to make super simple, fresh and healthy dips (for veggies or chips alike). We love a yogurt dip with our Oven-Roasted Sweet Potato Fries!
- Stir in any oil/spice combo you like - our favorites are:
- Lemon oil and Napa Valley Blend with chopped fresh parsley (love this with eggs!)
- Hot Chili, Jalapeño and/or Garlic oil and Chipotle Honey (and hot sauce)
- Basil oil and Zhug
Persian Lime or Blood Orange oil and Harissa or Jalapeno Lime
- Lemon Vanilla Breakfast Yogurt: Plain whole milk yogurt with a little Lemon oil and vanilla mixed is a glorious low-sugar breakfast - top with walnuts, pecans, blueberries, raspberries or granola if you like.
- Dessert Yogurt: stir Blood Orange oil and a little cinnamon or nutmeg into whole milk greek yogurt and top with toasted walnuts or pecans and a drizzle of honey or a sprinkling of chocolate chips.
- First of all, if you haven’t tried making our Stonehouse Olive Oil Mayo, it is totally worth the fuss.
- Take any mayo to the next level by mixing in any oil you like - we love Lisbon Lemon, Basil, Habanero, Jalapeño or even a bold olive oil like Reserve or fruity oil like our House Blend.
- Make a zesty herbed spread by stirring in Aglio Olio, Napa Valley Blend, or Ferry Building Blend. Best if pre-mixed and allowed to “meld” for a day or so in the fridge. Stir before using or serving.
- Make a spicy spread by mixing in Chipotle Honey or Zhug in the same way (plus bump up the spice with a little Habanero oil too if you like)!
- Stir a little Black Truffle Sea Salt into your mayo and spread on a ham and cheese sandwich with arugula and tomato.
- Try our Harissa Carrot & Citrusy Yogurt Dip if you haven’t - unique and crave-worthy.
- Use grilled or roasted eggplant in place of the carrots in the recipe above… also amazing.
- Spicy Peanut Sauce makes a great veggie dip (just make it thicker), and/or dressing for a noodle and veggie stir fry.
- Uplevel a store-bought baba ganoush with classic, Garlic, Lemon, Basil, Hot Chili, Jalapeño, or Habanero EVOOs.
- Rosemary Tomato Confit is a stunning appetizer or side, and makes the best of tomatoes any time of the year.
- Turn your leftover broccoli and cauliflower stems and leaves into a garlicky, cheesy spread for crostini - roughly chop and cook pieces, covered, in a small pot with a little water, salt, and a few generous glugs of any classic Stonehouse olive oil, until completely soft. Transfer to a food processor and blitz together with a smashed garlic clove, generous crack of fresh black pepper, grated parmesan cheese and more olive oil, into a chunky spread. Slather on toasts or crackers with a sprinkle of fresh herbs as a tasty snack or app. Great warm or cold!