Spring Pea Soup with Fresh Herbs
The bright green color of this soup is beautiful and vibrant. The color will fade a little if you save the soup for the next day, but what you trade off in color, you gain in even deeper flavor that comes from the ingredients melding together. The lemony yogurt topping is cool and creamy and brightens up the dish. Try our different garnish options below - or serve with different options out so that folks can jazz up their own soup as they like.
- 1 1/2 Tbsp House Blend or Olio Santo extra virgin olive oil
- 10 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 Tbps chopped fresh tarragon and/or basil (or sub Basil oil)
- 3 cups fresh shelled green peas (can use frozen but fresh is best!)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 lemon, zested and juice reserved (if no lemon - sub Lisbon Lemon oil for zest and splash of apple cider vinegar for juice)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons whole plain yogurt -- omit or sub cashew yogurt for a dairy-free/vegan version!
Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add scallions and tarragon/basil and cook, stirring occasionally until scallions soften, about 4 minutes.
Stir in peas, a cook for 1 minute. Add vegetable broth and bring mixture to a simmer, cooking until peas are tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
In the meantime, combine yogurt, lemon zest, and a pinch of salt and set aside to meld (can also be made in advance).
Remove soup from heat and, working batches, use a blender to puree the soup with the fresh mint until smooth. Return the soup to a pot, stir in 2 tablespoons lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve warm and dollop soup bowls with a few spoonfuls of yogurt mixture and your favorite Stonehouse olive oil. It's also wonderful to reserve a handful of peas and sliced scallions for topping bowls with a little extra garnish and texture.
Recipe adapted from skinnytaste.com
OTHER SERVING SUGGESTIONS:
- Serve with our Herb Croutons
- Finish with a sprinkle of our Ferry Building Blend, Herbs de Provence or Za'atar
- Like spice? Drizzle with Jalapeño or Habanero oil - the fresh taste of these oils really compliments the freshness of the peas and brings the soup to a whole other level!