If you’ve never made your own mayonnaise before it is incredibly easy and well-worth it if you have an immersion blender or food processor.
- 1 clove of garlic (3 for aioli)
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup House Blend or Olio Santo EVOO
- ½ cup grape seed, safflower, or other neutral oil
- 1 Tbsp Lisbon Lemon EVOO (optional but an amazing lift to the flavor!)
- 2 Tbsp mild white wine vinegar, lemon or lime juice
- 1 tsp Edmund Fallot Dijon mustard (the best!)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Peel and crush garlic with sea salt in a mortar and pestle into a smooth paste. Add vinegar to mellow the garlic and dissolve the salt. While that is happening, separate the egg yolks.
If using an immersion blender, put the yolks in the bottom of a large glass jar. Break the yolks, add the vinegar/garlic mixture and mustard and swirl; the vinegar “cooks” the yolk a bit, and the flavors merge. Add oils and let the mix settle, 10 seconds or so. You want the yolks at the bottom and oil on top. Immerse the blender to the bottom and pulse. Pulse pulse pulse. Do not rush this step, or keep the blender on too long, or it will liquefy the ingredients instead of bind them. As you continue to pulse, slowly lift the blender up, to incorporate more oil, then bring it slowly back down. Repeat this maneuver until most of the oil is blended. Remove blender and incorporate remaining oil with a wooden spoon.
If you’re using a food processor, put the yolks, vinegar/garlic mixture and mustard into the processor, and then drizzle the oil in slowly as you pulse, letting the oil incorporate before adding more.
Viola, you’ve just made fresh, delicious mayonnaise! Makes 2 ½ cups.
VARIATIONS & WAYS TO ENJOY:
- Stir in additional Habanero, Basil, Lisbon Lemon and/or Persian Lime (great for our Grilled Corn Elote - recipe above) for an extra boost of flavor!
- To make your mayo super citrusy and vibrant, sub half or all of the House Blend/Olio Santo EVOO for Lisbon Lemon or Persian Lime EVOO. Great for sandwiches and dipping veggies!
- Creamy Garlic Vinaigrette: whisk together 3 parts mayo and 1 part vinegar of choice with a sprinkle of Aglio Olio or a little more minced garlic. You can also make a Creamy Chipotle Honey Vinaigrette like this by mixing CH spice spice blend into the mayo before thinning with vinegar. Delicious in a chopped salad.
- Tartar Sauce: add capers, chopped pickles, grated onion, parsley, and a pinch of cayenne pepper.