Tomato Salad with Crème Fraîche, Olives & Crunchy Seeds
Peak season heirloom tomatoes don’t need much fanfare to shine. Play up their natural sweetness and acidity with a rich swoosh of crème fraîche, the salty briny pop of olives, and a crunchy, toasty, herbaceous seed topping. Serves 6 as an appetizer or side.
- ¼ cup toasted sunflower seeds
- 2 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1½ tsp Napa Valley Blend
- 1 Tbsp classic EVOO, plus more for drizzling
- ½ cup salt-cured black olives, pitted, coarsely chopped
- 2lb heirloom tomatoes, sliced into ½"-thick rounds
- Kosher salt
- 1 8oz container crème fraîche
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Dill or parsley sprigs (for finishing)
- Maldon sea salt flakes (for finishing)
Arrange sliced heirloom tomatoes on a large plate or baking sheet; drizzle with oil and season with kosher salt. Gently turn to coat well and let set to pull out some of the juices.
In the meantime, in a small bowl, stir together toasted sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, Napa Valley Blend and 1 Tbsp EVOO (just enough to get the mixture to clump).
Stir crème fraîche and fresh lemon juice in another small bowl to combine. Season with a pinch or two of kosher salt, to taste. Spread crème fraîche mixture across a platter, then top with seasoned tomatoes, leaving any extra juices behind, so the dish doesn't get too soupy.
Scatter chopped olives, seed mixture over top. Finish with sprigs of dill or parsley, and a final sprinkle of Maldon flaky sea salt.
- Try subbing Lisbon Lemon EVOO into the seed mixture, to compliment the little bit of dried lemon in Napa Valley Blend and the olives. Lemon can bring a beautiful, fruity lift to tomatoes!
Recipe and photo adapted from Bon Appetite.