Shaved Fennel Salad
A light, lemony, simple side salad that's a wonderful lift and compliment to heavier winter foods. Adapted from Alice Waters, The Art of Simple Food
To make the dressing, combine:
- 2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- Zest of ¼ lemon, in thin curls, then chop
- 1 tsp White Balsamic Vinegar (or other light vinegar)
- pinch salt
- a few cracks of fresh ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp Lisbon Lemon EVOO
Taste and adjust with salt if needed.
Trim off tops and root end from
- 2 Fennel Bulbs reserving a few fronds for garnish
Slice with a mandolin— we like the $25 Japanese plastic ones—toss the fennel and 2 Tbsp chopped parsley with the dressing, and you’re done!
As with many Art of Simple Food recipes, you will be shocked at how tasty such a simple, quick recipe can be. Once adept, you can knock this salad out in 10 minutes.
- Use Basil EVOO or any classic EVOO instead of Lisbon Lemon
- Garnish with a shake of Korean Chili Flakes, for color & kick
- Add sliced celery and/or radishes with the fennel
- Add to any sandwich for a lovely complimentary crunch!
Photo credit: Erin Scott