Napa Valley Shrimp & Rice Salad
A fresh and summery satisfying salad from the mother-in-law of one of our staff! Great for a picnic or big spread, or simply pair with corn on the cob, a fresh green or Caprese salad for a quick and easy weeknight dinner. Try this fabulous Napa Valley Lemon & Basil variation - or mix it up with our Chipotle Lime & Cilantro spin on it (see variation at the bottom)! Serves 4.
- 1lb shrimp, shelled and deveined
- ½ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tbsp Napa Valley Blend
- 1 cup white rice (brown is also good, but modify water/cook time accordingly)
- 1 Tbsp Basil EVOO
- 1½ cups water
- 8oz or 1½ cups fresh or frozen petite peas
- 2 scallions or ½ bunch chives, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- ¼ cup Lisbon Lemon EVOO
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Salt and pepper to taste
Bring ½ cup water, apple cider vinegar and Napa Valley Blend to a boil. Add the shrimp and simmer/steam 2-3 minutes or until pink. Drain and set aside to cool.
In a saucepan over medium-low heat, lightly toast the rice in Basil oil for a few minutes until fragrant. Add 1 1/2 cups of water, cover and reduce heat to low, cooking 15-20 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Uncover and add the frozen peas, tossing gently to combine, then set aside to cool.
When the rice is room temperature (or warm is okay), combine the shrimp, rice, and remaining ingredients. Toss well and season to taste with additional Basil oil and Napa Valley Blend. Garnish with a sprig of fresh basil and serve!
- Sub OMG or Ferry Building Blend for Napa Valley Blend.
- For a totally different take, sub Chipotle Honey for Napa Valley, Persian Lime oil for the Lemon, and fresh chopped cilantro for the basil.