Our egg-free take on the classic, with Preserved Lemons you can make yourself! Our Stonehouse Caesar needs no egg as the pectin in the lemon rind adds plenty of body, as well as a delicious sunshiny lemon kick!
This is a great dish to incorporate healthy anchovies into your diet and, like most of our dishes, it comes together in minutes and is delish! The "secret" as usual, is quality ingredients - including your own Preserved Lemons.
- Romaine lettuce - red if you can find it
- Anchovies - 4 per head of lettuce, chopped
- Preserved lemon peel - preferably Meyer rinsed & chopped, in equal part to anchovies
- Stonehouse EVOO - approx 2 Tbps per head of lettuce - House Blend, Olio Santo, Reserve Blend, or your favorite
- splash of lemon juice or vinegar
- dash of Dijon mustard, 1/4 tsp per head
- shaved parmesan to taste
Keep the romaine whole (and eat with your fingers as an appetizer - what we do in our house) or chop it in 1 inch chunks, dress, and serve as a course or side.
To make the dressing, simply whisk all ingredients together and drizzle over your lettuce! We like a 50/50 anchovy-to-lemon rind ratio, but make it a few times and you'll find your own perfect mix. For best flavor, let the dressing sit for an hour before using, and dress the greens right before serving, otherwise the dressing will wilt the lettuce.
Keep any excess dressing for dipping - it won't last long!