Stovetop Popcorn w/ EVOO & Spice Combos
- 1/4 cup popcorn kernels yields about 8 cups popped corn, scale up as desired
- 2 tsp House Blend or Olio Santo EVOO for popping
Add olive oil and popcorn kernels to the bottom of a large pot with a lid over medium heat. As soon as popping starts, hold the lid slightly askew so that steam can escape (will result in crunchier popcorn) and gently swirl the pot on the stove to keep the kernels moving. Once popping slows to every 3-5 seconds, immediately remove from heat and pour popcorn into a large shallow bowl.
Drizzle with LOTS of additional olive oil – like you would butter – so that the salt or seasonings really stick. Be generous with both oil and seasoning, in multiple rounds: oil, then spices, tossing after each addition. Taste as you go to get to your preferred taste. It's the topping that make great popcorn so experiment!
- Classic or Persian Lime EVOO with Harissa or Jalapeno Lime (nutritional yeast is also great with either of these combos)
- Classic or Rosemary EVOO & Black Truffle Sea Salt
- Coratina with coriander, nutritional yeast, and Maldon Sea Salt
- Hot Chili, Jalapeño, Habanero EVOO with Maldon Sea Salt (also great with a drizzle of Lime EVOO)
- Anthony's cheddar cheese powder (get it on Amazon) is a great addition to any of the above!
- Basil EVOO + Zhug (since Zhug is more granular than powdery, make sure to get a good coating of oil on your popcorn first)! Or try it with Habanero EVOO if you really like spicy.
- Blood Orange EVOO + powdered hot cocoa mix (or cocoa powder + a little powdered sugar) + cinnamon + a little sea salt -- DESSERT popcorn that's light on sugar!